Sunday, December 16, 2007

In the meadow we can build a Snowman...

German Phrase of the Day: Ich kann ihn reparieren. = I can fix it. A phrase my husband uses quite a lot, and now my daughter has picked it up too. However, for today, it is appropriate, because I did fix it. A card at least!

Remember this card? The one I was not totally happy with? Well...I kept playing with it, and I think this new and improved version is indeed that...new and improved!

For this remake, I centered the window image left to right, but left it up near the top of a portrait oriented card. Next, I decided to have it be a true "window" card, and so the stamped image is INSIDE the card. Next, I covered the window with a light layer of glue from my glue pad, and then covered it with Dazzling Diamonds glitter to make the window really sparkle with frost, and to keep the glitter contained, I adhered a second window to the back to sandwich the glitter together.

Next, I created the frame for the window. I mitered my corners, and lightly sponged some River Rock ink around all edges of the 4 pieces to give them a little more depth. For the window muntons, I ran them through my white craft to give them some highlighting. Then, I assembled my window onto the card, having already layered a piece of sponged River Rock designer prints paper. Lastly, I stamped the sentiment on the bottom right corner. I thought about making some curtains, but decided they might look to kitschy, and I wanted something more elegant.

Next, I painted some white craft ink onto the window in each pane from the back. You can see it a little better in the photo of the open card. I like how it mimics the way snow and ice can build up on a window in those corners.

I stamped the snowman building image using my Palette Noir ink, and colored it in with ink and my aquapainter. I used Ruby Red for the snowman's scarf and hat band because I think it gives a truer red when watercolored than real red does. I used Soft Sky and Blue Bayou for the little boy, and pretty in pink and Regal Rose for the little girl. I of course added a little rosiness to their cheeks since they are out in the cold! I decided if the one on the left were a little taller, it could be my brother and I when we were young. Before finishing, I added some shadows with going grey to the snowman and the snow. Lastly, I stamped the sentiment on the bottom to give it a more finished look inside.

It was really weird for me to make a card without any ribbon, or even any hardware at all. I still look at it and think, can't I just add a little something more? But I like the absence of that, it helps to keep the focus on the image itself, which I just love!

Supplies: (all supplies are SU! unless otherwise noted)
Stamps: Got Snow? by GinaK Designs
CS: Stamper's Select White from PaperTrey Ink, River Rock, River Rock Designer Prints DSP

Ink: Palette Noir,
Soft Sky, Blue Bayou, Blush Blossom, Pretty in Pink, River Rock, White Craft, Ruby Red, Regal Rose, Going Grey
Acc: sponge, aquapainter, Glue pad, dazzling diamonds glitter, acetate sheet

TFL!
-Jana

4 comments:

  1. Jana, I love this card. I have never tried a window card before; thanks for your great instructions. I think GinaK's image is perfect for this, and I also like how you did the window frame. It makes it very realistic with the corners and sponged ink. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jana this is awesome!! So much detail on the windows and it really came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this card - sweet and elegant at the same time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just beautiful! So different! WoW!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, thanks for leaving me some love!