Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Playing with Happiness

I love Sell-A-Bration time...have I mentioned that lately?? I mean, who doesn't love getting FREE stamps? This year's selection was particularly amazing...and I'm FINALLY getting around to playing with them.

Today (after some obligatory vacuuming!) I pulled out Happy Harmony because I've seen so many beautiful cards with these flowers and the watercolor crayons. The technique is called Expressionistic Watercolors, and it is SOOO easy! Simply apply the crayons DTR (Direct to Rubber) wet your watercolor paper with a spray bottle or an aquapainter, lightly spritz your stamp (that has been colored with the crayons) and then stamp your image. The extra water will cause the colors to run a little more than normal, giving your piece an "expressionistic" look.

For my flowers, I colored them with the Regal Rose crayon first, then went around the edges with the Rose Red crayon. The stems are Certainly Celery, but for some reason came out a little muddy. I stamped the greeting with Timber Brown Stazon so it wouldn't run with all the water.

I layered the piece on Chocolate Chip and then Regal Rose cardstocks. For the card, I stamped the Flannel background on Chocolate Chip CS with Chocolate Chip ink, then tied the Celery Organdy ribbon around the card. I mounted the focal piece over the ribbon using Dimensionals. Then...I still felt like the card needed something more. So, I used my word window punch to punch out some Certainly Celery tabs and attached them around the edge of the card, securing in place with some antiqued brads. I'm not sure how I like them...what do you all think?

Ok, and finally, here are some examples of my "mistakes" while making this card. The first one (while being a little TOO expressionistic) is an example of why I really don't like having to mount my stamps every time I use them. I have to pay very close attention to be sure I don't stamp my greetings upside down.

The second example also illustrates that point with the greeting being at such an angle (and in reality, not one of my cleanest stamped images.) However, this image will not be thrown out...it's not so bad that I can't ever use it...perhaps I can salvage it somehow! And, as I always said in my classes and workshops, it's handmade, so it isn't supposed to be perfect!

I hope you all have a wonderful day, and thanks for visiting!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely card...and I have more of those whoops! then I'd care to admit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jana....lol...you remind me of me. So that is all good & I whoops way too often. lol. I love your card...love it, it looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, thanks for leaving me some love!