Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Paper Piecing Your Digital Images - a mini tutorial!

I'm back with my quick tutorial...it's really quite simple, but I thought a few photos might help!
Step 1: Print out your image on regular copy paper. Cut pieces of designer paper that you want to use for paper piecing to cover the area of the image you want covered. Adhere these directly to your printed paper using a removable adhesive such as Dotto. You want to make sure the edge that is going to get fed into your printer first is adhered down so that it is less likely to jam up your printer

Step 2. Print the same file again feeding this paper BACK through your printer. Make sure you know which way to load the paper so the file prints in the same orientation. If you look at this image, you can see some of the Rosies at the bottom are looking a little blurry - it's not your eyes it's just because there are 2 images printed and it got a little off.
Step3. Now that you have your image printed, remove it from the copy paper and you can now trim it out. There are many great tutorials on paper piecing out there..one thing that's important is to cut ON the line (not outside it) so that it fits in your stamped (or in this case printed) image perfectly.
Step 4: It is best to color your underlying image BEFORE adhering your paper pieced bits on. You can move things around and figure out what you like best before gluing it all down. I like to use my Quickie Glue Pen to put glue onto the image, then use my paper piercer to move the bits around and get them into perfect alignment (great when working with small bits)
Step5: Finish it off. Here you can see I decided to color the bodice of her dress and just piece the skirt. However, I now have 3 other dresses ready to cut out and use, so I'm set for a little while - at least for THIS La-La!!

Thanks for coming by, I hope you find this helpful! Let me know if you have questions about any of this and I'll be happy to answer them.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome tutorial! I really love how you cut the bodice off the dress and used just the skirt. Very pretty effect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great tutorial, Jana! I usually use the whole sheet of patterned paper! Great idea! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tutorial!!! Love the idea of using a few different prints to save for the future cards!! AWESOME!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do it exactly the same way and then the damn paper jams or rolls....a few choice words come out and then I do it again! I love how you coloured her hair!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, thanks for leaving me some love!