Monday, January 14, 2008

The Mitten

German Phrase of the Day: Ich habe drei Enkel. = I have three grandchildren. Ok...so obviously I don't have 3 grandchildren...but my mom does! And actually, my MIL will have 3 soon too. I hope it will be a VERY long time before I have any grandchildren!! So Enkel is grandchild, do you wanna know what grandparent is? Grosseltern, which literally means large parent.

Before I start babbling on about my card, have you all read about the Cutie Pie contest over at Paper Pretties? If not...you should!! You could be our next Cutie Pie and win all of the stamps for our next release at the end of the month!! How cool would that be?? Pretty dang cool I'm thinkin'!

I have another card using the mitten stamp from Snowflake Kisses today...but I added a little color. I had a complaint about too much blue recently (I love you mom!) and so just for her, I added some red to this card. For the layout, I CASE'd this card of MyVeronica's - she was the featured stamper yesterday and I just loved looking through her gallery. The hatpin card is so simple and elegant...perfect! Of course, I didn't end up using a hatpin...but I think it still counts as a CASE! :-)

I started by stamping the mittens onto Stamper's Select White cardstock and coloring them with the WW crayons. I don't usually color with the real red crayon when I want something to actually look red - that crayon makes things look more pink. Instead, I use Ruby Red and I think it turns out much better. I colored the snowflake on the mitten using the tempting turquoise crayon lightly to match Cool Caribbean. I added the liquid appliqué to the cuffs and puffed it up, then put the snowflake brad from the Paper Pretties Boutique in the top before mounting the piece onto a layer of Real Red.

I had some snowflake cuddled Cool Caribbean cardstock from when mom was here with her folders last April, and I swiped my white craft pad across it to highlight the snowflakes a little more. I layered this on some more Stampers Select White, then Basic Black. Next, I tied my red polka dot May Arts ribbon around these 3 layers before mounting them onto the White A2 size card. I mounted my central image using pop dots, stamped my greeting with Real Red ink and I was done. The card was actually quite quick to do, and I think turned out quite elegant as well - although looking at it now I think I would add a layer of black under the cool Caribbean. What do you all think?

Supplies:
Stamps: Snowflake Kisses by Paper Pretties
CS: Stamper's Select White from Papertrey Ink, Cool Caribbean, Real Red, Basic Black

Ink:
Palette Noir, White Craft, real red
Acc: Silver brad, liquid applique, red polka dot May Arts ribbon, aquapainter, WWC, snowflurries cuttlebug folder


TFL!
-Jana

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful honey. Can't wait for my stamps. Have a few ideas for those mittens myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEAUTIFUL card, Jana! I love all the dimensions you added to the card.
    Cyber hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card Jana!! I love the snowflake hanger! I made a red mitten card yesterday . . seriously we think alike too! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, thanks for leaving me some love!