Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Color Challenged Stem Sillhouettes

German Phrase of the Day: Du hast immer Probleme. = You always have problems. I definitely always HAD problems with Groovy Guava...but it's starting to grow on me!

For last month's Diva Sister Swap, the color challenge was Vanilla, chocolate chip, and groovy guava. I HATE groovy guava. I mean...how do you use this color?? I hemmed and hawed, and then remembered the beautiful sample using Stem Silhouettes in the catalog and thought I could try that stamp but have the blossoms guava. So, I inked it up with guava, colored over the stems and leaves with old olive and stamped. Hmmm...not too bad. I sponged the edges with creamy caramel first, then lightly with chocolate chip, and mounted it on some chocolate chip, and again onto some guava (all layers sponged...of course!)

Now, for the main part of the card. I decided to go with three layers again, starting with a chocolate chip base, then guava, and then more vanilla (stamped with linen background using creamy caramel) To finish off the card, I used some wide chocolate grosgrain under the main image, and added 2 antique brads to the lower right corner of the main image. They seemed to ground it a little more for me. Finally, I needed a greeting to balance out the brads, so I stamped From The Heart at the top in Chocolate Chip ink. Ta-da! I think Groovy Guava is starting to grow on me! Perhaps next time I should add a tiny bit of sparkle to the flowers either with some of my mini rhinestones, or a spica glitter pen (just ordered one from Ellen's store!!) Definitely need to make more cards with this set, it sat neglected for TOO long!

Supplies: (all supplies are SU! unless otherwise noted)
Stamps: Stem Silhouettes, Holidays & Wishes
CS: Very Vanilla, Chocolate Chip, Groovy Guava

Ink:
Chocolate Chip, Groovy Guava, Old Olive marker
Acc: Antique brads, 5/8" chocolate grosgrain ribbon


TFL!
-Jana

4 comments:

  1. I really love this card - it's going into my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it too and what's even better is the fact that it ended up in my mailbox :o) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a big fan of groovy guava, but this is a VERY pretty card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful! I'm saving this to my favorites!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, thanks for leaving me some love!